Today I was thinking back to past Valentine's Days and trying to remember a favorite gift I had received so that I could think of something fun to get for my kiddos this year. It was interesting the Valentine's Day that came to mind is probably one that you wouldn't think would be counted as one of my Favorites, but it is.
I think I was a Senior in H.S. and I remember coming home from school on Valentine's Day, walking through the back door into the kitchen and there on the table were 3 bottles of Bath and Body Works Body Mists with a balloon tied to each of them, one for me and my two little sisters. I don't remember the specifics of it there may have been more, but I remember that I got Sweet Pea and that it was from my dad. I assume my mom had to have helped him out a little, but he had decided he wanted to give us something for V-day and that really meant a lot to me. My Dad is someone who doesn't always plan a lot in advance, but that's what makes him so fun, he's spontaneous and full of surprises, and this was a GREAT surprise. My Dad holds a special place in my heart, and I'm not sure if it's because we understand each other or we just like each other, but we seem to have always had a special relationship. We're able to forgive each other quickly and we're always happy to see each other, and no matter if I haven't called him or he hasn't called me for a month, we're always glad to hear from each other even for a few seconds.
I remember being a little girl and he asked me why I love him so much, and I said "because you're my daddy" he asked if that was the only reason I loved him At the time I wanted to please him and tell him all of the reasons why I loved him, but I didn't know why I loved him, I just knew that I did. I didn't love him because he was my dad and I had to for that reason, I loved him because he cared for me the way a father should and provided for us in much more than our physical needs, he taught us how to clean a toilet to work hard and to have a LOT of compassion for people in need.
I remember a girl back in Elementary school who I had wondered if she ever heard her dad tell her she was pretty or that he loved her. I felt so sad for her, I had no idea what that felt like, but I knew what it felt like to be pretty and loved. I knew it because my daddy always told me, and I always believed it. What a better place the world would be if every Father told their daughter how beautiful they are and that he loved them.
I am thankful for GREAT parents, and I do not say that loosely, they are great in every sense of the word. My parents sacrificed a lot so that we could have a good plentiful childhood. They made things for us when there wasn't enough money to buy it. I am thankful for my ability to love and for my parents and family who taught me. I love you Mom and Dad.
Tell your child you love them if you haven't today, and if you have tell them again.
Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
2 comments:
Thank you what a sweet tribute to your dad and I. We love you too...very much
I love Valentine's Day! I love that your dad did sweet stuff for you! That is so awesome!
Letting children know that we love them is so important!
And I love ya!
Post a Comment