Sunday, October 5, 2008

I got to wear a Gown this week.

This week has been eventful. On Monday I had been having a lot of contractions and was extremely exhausted, more than usual. I just kind of ignored it and didn't think too much of it. On Tuesday I noticed that I was having them more frequently and they were kind of painful. I still just kind of ignored them and went about my day. We went the the library and checked out a few Halloween books, and then went home. C went down for a nap and I sewed up a craft I've been working on. I noticed that I couldn't stand for very long because I was so tired and I kept contracting. I decided that when C woke up we'd go for a walk to get Nixon out of the house. Before we left for our walk I decided I shold just call my midwife and let them know what was going on. They took my symptoms and said they would have one of the midwives call me back. I didn't ask them if I could go for a walk because I figured they would tell me I shouldn't, and I had already told C that we were going and didn't want to deal with the disappointment he would feel. While on our walk I got a call from my Midwife, Rachael, and she asked what was going on I told her and she asked how close they were. I had realiaed when we walked out the door that I was having one and at the beginning of our conversation I had one as well and that had been about 2 or 3 minutes. She, "Ok, Keara, here's what you're going to do, your going to turn around and go home, jump in your car take C to a friends house and your going to check yourself into the hospital." I was so caught off guard that I started to cry. I though she was going to tell me to go home and pee, drink some water and lay down, I was not expecting her to send me to the hospital. I honestly did not think it was that bad. So...I did what she said, I called my friend and dropped C off, I headed for the hospital. I couldn't get a hold of Big A, and I kept getting caught in traffic, then I got the the ER and there weren't any parking spots, I had to park on the second level of the parking garage accross the way(really annoying, I felt like yelling to everyone, "Woman in labor here people, get out of my way!!!"). I get checked in, and sent to my room I get my beautiful "gown"(:-) and then hooked up to all my monitors. As the machines starts to track all of my contractions there is a bit of hustle and bustle around me. I knew they were gettng stronger and a little more uncomfortable but I just didn't think it was serious, until I saw how close they were. I was having contraction 3 minutes apart, it felt like the second I go over one and took my breath, I had another. It was crazy. Anyway, I had gotten a hold of Big A but told him not to worry, and to keep studying and I would let him know when to come. After about 5 negative tests, which was actually a good thing, and about 2 hours they couldn't figure out why I was contracting and didn't want to send me home until they stopped. There were no signs of them stopping so they decided to give me a shot to stop the contractions. I didn't want to take it because I'm not real big on medicine, so I asked if I could wait an hour and talk it over with my husband. I had Big A come down with one of our good friends to give me a blessing. I said a quiet prayer asking for guidence. I was worried about the shot because they said i would spike my heart rate and the babies and make me jittery, I was not looking forward to it. During my blessing I felt like the shot would be ok, so Big A and I decided that if within the next hour or so my contractions didn't stop, that we would have them give me the shot. Well, they never stopped or slowed, so I got the shot. I will never, repeat:NEVER get that shot again, it made me feel so weird, I felt like I had parkinsen's disease, I was shaky and my heart and the babied hearts were racing, but it did stop my contractions, which I am eternally grateful. They monitored me for a while longer and then sent me home and 9:30pm. I went and got C as Big A went and got food, I hadn't eaten since breakfast minus some graham crackers in the hospital. Two hours after the I recieved the shot it wore off and my contractions came back. I chose not to tell them and to just go to bed, I really did not want to go back to that hospital room. I called them the next morning and they wanted to se me in the office. So this week has been full of Tests and ultrasounds and Dr. appointments and midwife appointments, everything points to NO preterm labor, just contractions. They still want to watch me relly closely and I still have some more tests they want to run just to make sure, but I am feeling good, minus the contractions here and there. Anyway, I am so grateful for our friends for helping us out with my blessing and with watching little C. I am grateful for medicine and for hospitals and nurses and other friends looking shots up on google for me so I knew more about what I was getting myself into. Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers, we appreciate them and appreciate your concern.
Thanks for reading, if you did, typing is so much easier than journal writing.

10 comments:

The Frosts said...

That is pretty scary! I'm glad you and the baby seem to be okay. I had a pretty bad fainting episode in church a couple weeks ago, but luckily I didn't end up having to go to the hospital. I was just really dehydrated. Pregnancy sure takes your body for an interesting ride. Keep us posted, and I'm glad you're alright.

Camille said...

Keara-
OMG!! That is so scarey! I am glad that little Barnes decided NOT to come yet. When is your due date anyways? You are so brave to go to the hospital and have all that crazy stuff happen. Glad you are back home. Take is easy girly (yeah right impossiable with a toddler around). Please keep us posted. PS sorry about your hair dryer...may you meet again one day =)

dancin' momma said...

I hope you learned to SLOW DOWN AND TAKE IT EASY! I worry about you, and I hope that you really do slow down. You don't have to be super mom/wife all of the time. And I know Alan wouldn't mind stepping in so you can not stress so much. And I'm here to help!!! I owe you, remember. love ya!

Ashley said...

Drown yourself in water!!!! Sometimes when we're pregnant we don't even realize that we're dehydrated.

DROWN YOURSELF IN WATER!!!!!

Kim said...

Hi Keara!! That was scary to read. But, since you had typed it, I figured it would have a happy (no early baby) ending. Thanks God!

Miss you girlie...give the boys and baby belly a hug for me.

Kim

Cindy said...

I am glad everything is OK! We had a scare 3 weeks before Parker was born.. I didn't feel him move all day. Ben and I went to the hospital and it seemed like as soon as we got there and they hooked me up to everything, he started kicking like crazy!!

Parker would love to have C over. I think he has learned to be nice to his friends. I will take him anytime!!

sarah said...

I am with you- those shots are horrible. Be thankful you aren't on pills now. They are just as bad as the shots, but not as potent. Glad everything is ok.

Adam and Nicole said...

Yikes! (bikes!) I am glad you are okay. I know it is hard to take it easy when you have another kid running around, so just rest when he does (I know, I know, you have to do other things when C is sleeping, but really, you don't! Sit down Diggs, just sit down! Don't make me make you!!!!)
Have you figured a name for Little B? I can't remember if you told me or not.
Oh and I like the Halloween blog background. All of the people in our neighborhood have started putting up their decorations, and everytime I see them I think of you. Awwww my little crazy halloween girl! he he
Love love!

Amy said...

I'm glad everythings okay! Just listen to everyone else--taking it easy and try to pamper yourself a little--it's relaxing. No one cares if you house is clean, go get a pedicure!

Michelle Bebe said...

yeah those shots SUCK! glad you are alright! keep us posted please!