Ok, so we love the movie "Toy Story", but we have learned a few bad habbits from them. Calvy has now started saying, stupid, stupid dog and shut up. He has also started saying "Psst" to Elle when she is asleep. We have tried to get him to stop by telling him they are bad words and we don't say them, I also have tried getting him to stop the "Psst" thing because he gets so close to her he spits on her. I'm not sure it's working because we just keep watching it and he keeps hearing his good friends, Buzz and Woody, saying them.
Alsy's way of fixing it was to teach him some "bad" words, that aren't actually bad, like "Broccoli" and "cut it out". So today when getting after him for yelling he said "Okay Okay"(not sure where he learned this, but he says it while moving his fist up and down, with much feeling) so I told him to stop and he said "oh, broccwee", so I started to laugh and he said "cut it out broccwee". It was so funny. I'm not sure if that is the best way to handle a "cussing kid" but I guess he's not cussing anymore, not really anyway.
What do you think?
9 comments:
Good Job! It is always good to change it when ever you can. It gets harder to do when they are older and they understand that Broccoli is in fact not a bad word, just a food they dislike :)
Once my kids have said things that make wonder where they got them from, I noticed I pay extra attention to the things they watch, and seriously there is a lot of "stupid" and "shut-ups" it is horrible.
Any - thanks for sharing that is super cute!
I think it's an awesome way to deal with it... not that I have ANY experience with this stuff. And it's super super cute!
that is so cute!! at our house we say, "oh rats!" it works some of the time!!
That is so funny. I think talking is the broccoliest thing to monitor, discipline, teach, whatever. Porter is really into being bossy these days and if I ask him to do something he says, "Don't say that." Then I say back to him, "Don't you say, don't say that, to me." Not very effective. It sounds like you handled your dilemma in a much smarter way. Pssst,Good luck with that you stupid dog. Haha.
If anything it is just too cute. I don't know if kids know good words from bad words at that age. But I wouldn't know yet since neither of mine talk yet. I will let you know when they get there. LOL
LOve ya
I would say Jill is right. They dont know bad words from good. so thats when you just teach him and when that fails what you did was great!!! It really does stink that these cute Disney shows have those words in it. When Brayt and I are watching movies that say them I just say oh that is not a good word huh? And he will agree. I dont know you just have to keep teaching. I say freaking alot or shut up as an expression and Brayt will sometimes say that and I will say oh buddy thats not a good word k. Say flipping and he does:) But it sounds like you did good. Do you love my long post. haha
Jaxon LOVES Toy Story too and I totally noticed how much they say idiot, dumb, shut up. I really wish they would have used other vocabulary in this kids movie! He hasn't picked up on the words, but he did learn to fight from the scene where Woody and Buzz are in the van and roll around a fight. Now he wants to fight me, Devin, Henry, everyone! He comes up to us with his hands in fists and says, "You fight me." Yeah, I don't really know what to do about it!
We love Toy Story, but have to fight the same battle. Most kid movies have a few things in them you have to be careful of. Good idea with the other words. Our girls say "Oh Barnacles!".
Beware of Thomas the Train. They also say "stupid" and it took us a little while to cure Sam of that word. Now, whenever he hears it he tells us they said a bad word and gives me a funny look like, Mom, they say bad words in the movie.
Post a Comment