Sunday, September 30, 2007

I'm Not Crazy!

Ok, lets just clarify. I am not against vaccinations, I think they are great tools against sickness and disease. I do not agree however that they are one size fits all. I reject the idea that these little babies can handle such a large dose of chemicals, the same dose that an adult can handle. I will continue to get my children vaccinated, but at the times when we think it's right(every child is different). I have discussed with Alan just putting it off until they have to have them, like for school or traveling and such. We have not decided what we think is best, we are still torn. I like the advice my sister gave me, she is just doing a few at a time. 22 shots in 2 years is a lot for such a little body to handle. I also like the idea of giving my babies immune system a chance to build and grow before it is boosted.

Please understand that this is my opinion, I do not attempt to think that my opinion overules all. I am simply trying to do what I think is best for my family. I don't think there is anyone out there that can tell us what is right or wrong for our children, every child is so different and should be treated as such. I am following the advice to just follow my "Mommy Instinct".

If you'd like to comment please do, I enjoy them. Discussion is great. If any of you have any information, for either side, I would love to read it. Like I said I am torn like most parents, I want the best for my children and am not quite sure what that is.
Thanks everyone!

7 comments:

Brittney said...

OH my gosh girl I am right there with you!!! Me and Kelyn have this discussion all the time. I agree with you 100% and am also very torn!!! I really have just been praying about it and hope that i will feel peace about it because I am scared to death to vaccinate my kids. Brayton hasn't had his and Raylee probably wont either. Although i just talked to my new dr about this because she is defiantely for shots. She said that a babies immune system is fully developed at 2 months. It is just like an adults. So they are fine. I have the same issues with shooting 4 or 5 shots in a baby at once. My dr said you can definately do them at a slower rate and she doesnt do the mmr at a yr. she waits till the kid is 18 months. But I am hearing more and more that studies are showing that the shots or the mmr do not cause autism. But I am still terrified and dont know what to do. My mom says brittney all you kids had shots and you are all fine. But still I have also heard that there is something in the brain that these shots trigger in some kids and thats what gives them autism. I dont know. I have done alot of research and my dr just gave me something to look up online about shots. Sorry this is so long but I am having the same problems and doubts and I am just scared. Oh what to do?

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

I think everything has it's vices. If you don't vaccinate there are fatal diseases, and if you do there are dangerous side effects. I totally agree with the being torn on what is right and what is wrong. I give you a lot of credit for posting on it, just keep going with your instincts.

deborah said...

all I have to say it that vaccinations is what seperates us from the third world countries. We should be grateful to live in a country that has people who have created these vaccines so that our children do not suffer the same fate as the children in countries that have NO VACCINES.

The Woolner Family said...

Sam is all caught up on vaccinations. It wasn't really by choice and I opted out of some when he was teeny tiny until he was a bit bigger. With adoption, it's a requirement. The way I felt OK about it was to have Chad give Sam a blessing before each one. You do what you feel is right.

Unknown said...

I think that you have to decide what is best for you and your children, but I do feel that it is important to get some of them. Some of the diseases have deadly consequences and can be passed extremely easy. People coming from countries that are not immunized can pass sickness on that they don’t even know they have and then your child can become very sick. Also if you are LDS just know that your child will have to get vaccinated before they can serve in foreign countries. I think that everyone should educate themselves and think about the cause and affect. My daughter is immunized and not just because she is adopted but because the chance that she could get a disease and end up having seizures, brain damage, or even die from a disease that is spread through the air is a risk that I am not willing to take. I do think it is ok to get them slower and fewer at a time. Also just remember that advances in medicine are not because we are just becoming smarter then those who came before, but because God is guiding his world so maybe vaccines have side effects in some people but it is not by accident that we have them.

Unknown said...

You have gotten me so confused about what to do about vaccinations after reading yours and hannas blog. Keep me updated on information you may come across

Barnes Blog said...

This is not meant to offend: Please know that I am extremely thankful for this country and for the opportunity to have a CHOICE to decide for myself if I want to vaccinate. I love this country and by no means did I mean to say that I am ungrateful. A big thanks to Hanna for putting it out there that there is no need to judge, we are free to choose and that's what we all do by either vaccinating or opting out. Thank you all for your awesome comments.