
There are many interesting aspects of being pregnant, becoming obviously invisible, except for the belly, and completely unaware of stares and EXTREMELY insensitive remarks on weight and looks.
At Mutual one night I was working the the kitchen getting some refreshments ready someone, who shall remain nameless, walked in and asked how I was doing. He was clearly stunned by my size, in his defense he hadn't seen me for 6 months, he asked when I was due. I told him I still had about a month left (this was about a month ago), and after giving a look of total shock and surprise, big wide eyes and everything, he says... and I quote, "well, 'haha' that's one healthy baby". I am assuming he was referring to how LARGE my belly was/is. Apparently while being pregnant you are immune to hurtful comments. ;)
While leaving the mall today with some friends we passed by a restaurant and at the bar were 2 men. One turned all the way around, gawking and snickering at me. Yet again, I must be completely unaware of his stares and must not understand what it mean when someone points and stares at you. Anyway, as we continue to pass he gets his friends attention and they both crane their necks to watch me walk passed. I was really annoyed at their clear disregarud for my feelings, so I turned and looked at them, grabbed my belly and mouthed the words "Yes. I am pregnant". Honestly I don't think they were embarrassed or anything, in fact I'm pretty sure they just kept looking.
Why are people so stupid around pregnant woman? I would love to hear your responses.
19 comments:
I think the dorks in the mall, were probably staring because they have never seen such a HOT looking pregnant woman.
I think that is awesome that you responded! I love pregnancy hormones, it always made me do stuff that I probably never would have.
I have also always thought that people lose all sense of tact when it comes to dealing with a pregnant woman. I remember the first time that same sort of situation happened to me and at first I wanted to smack them, but I ended up just going home and crying...I was about to say something to those guys yesterday, but I'm glad you beat me to it!!! love ya!
Yes Thank you!! I hated comments like that when I was prego. The worst is when women say things. It's like they forgot they used to be just as big. I think you look so great!
I drives me crazy, too when people are rude and make rude comments and do rude things when I am not pregnant...let a lone when I was pregnant.
Honestly, some people do not know any better. It is sad. I am surprised at comments from men who have had kids and more than one when they make rude comments.
I bet he didn't mean anything about the comment and went home that night and thought, "i am an idiot." that still does not make it right, though.
hey this is devin, let me tell you something and to all pregnant ladys,i love nothing more then seeing a big pregnant belly so be proud of the belly, pregnant ladys are beautiful love ya
I hear you sister! Some people have poop for brains!!! :) It is never okay to talk about a woman's weight even if they are pregnant (especially when they are pregnant!!) You look amazing! You are due today right? I can't believe you are out and about, good for you!!! Love you!
i love amy's comment.
it's way WORSE coming from a woman.
YOU know my story from last time.
For a woman who has been pregnant to tell someone else that they look "HUGE" after that person just said this is the smallest they have been. I am sorry, but LAME, no BRAINS!
obviously it's usually because that person just didn't think before speaking.
for men to look (you must be really big) I am TOTALLY kidding. men are men, they don't think at all before speaking (most of them).
jourdan told me once (and at first with her body language) that i looked big. i forgave her cause she was 18 and never been pregnant.
love devon's comment, how sweet.
Annnnnnnnnd, you look like someone who is due in a day or two. I could email some of me, i won't post them though.Kennedy wanted to use one for her school poster. I said NO. I am rambling. I' ll stop. Oh wait, with kennedy a server guy (prob 18) said i looked big, stupid kid. CONSIDER the source. you can delete this now.
Well, let's see...
1. guys at mall=dummies (that was my g rated word) you are super beautiful and should be treated that way all the time
2. people who say dumb and insensitive things=dummies (replace with another less kind word)
I haven't had the experience of being talked at/around while being pregnant, but I can only hope that I look as H-O-TT hot as you and will probably respond to those "dummies" with some colorful words of my own.
Take home message...you are a super hottie momma momma and that little girl has an awesome mommy.
It doesn't get much better once you have the baby. Two of my neices have commented on how my belly is still big and soft even though I had the baby. One of them even asked me if I was going to have another baby. Both of them are over the age of 10, so I am not letting the whole "they don't know any better" thing fly. It's called manners, folks. I also had a girl say she was glad to see that I had so many stretch marks, because it made her feel better about herself. People are so SWEET sometimes. It doesn't help that your hormones are totally out of whack. I thought you looked really good in your last picture post. Love ya, don't take stupid stuff to heart.
These comments are cracking me up! People seriously SUCK when it comes to dealing with pregnancy women - and most have no excuse because they either were one, are married to one, or have a mom who was one. I will never forget being about 5 years old and calling my mom (probably 8 months pregnant at the time) "fat." The look on her face was enough to teach me, even as a small child, that pregnant is NOT fat and that pregnant women are sensitive about their weight.
With Sullivan, I got the "are you SURE it isn't twins?" comment, even after I already politely answered that it was just one. Silly, but it made me cry.
When you're pregnant, it feels like you will NEVER be the same again and all of those comments just seem to cement the idea that your body is ruined into your head. Luckily, you and I and most of the other women on here know that with time we will look and feel "normal" again - only better because we have another baby to snuggle.
You look awesome in your pictures and we can't wait to hear baby news!
My mom once grabbed a ladies belly after she had her baby and said "when are you due" Ahhh! Embarrsing...i hope she didn't cry to hard after my mom left! Keara you look hot like always. I was just thinking man i wish i was as cute of prego as Keara is. Since you posted this yesterday i am assuming the baby is not here yet. I keep checking you blog to see if you have had her or not. We just found out we are having a girl too! You will have to let me know how it goes.
I think that it is usually people who have either never been pregnant, or people who for gender reasons {men} can't get pregnant, are typically the ones that say things to pregnant women. Just try to ignore the insensitive and unlearned people. Think about the great compliments that you have been given and leave those in your head!! Our old Stake President used to hug the pregnant women and say that there is nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman. That always made my day!! Just remember you are HOT! ;)
Hey Keara, this is Paul... I just have to say that this little string of comments has been very educational for me... I think because I've never had much experience with babies... i just sort of pretend a pregnant woman isn't pregnant. However I do find myself making comments like, "hey look... that girls way pregnant..." Of course now I will stop doing that so I don't get shot by everyone who commented on this blog, lol
Maybe I am the wierd one of all...but I don't really care what people say!! When I'm pregnant... I am big, huge and by belly sticks out. I am not going to punish someonr and get frustrated because they are pointing out the truth!! Yes, I realize there is tact...but really, I think haveing the belly is fun!!
I agree with Rychelle. Maybe it's cuz I like having an excuse for a big belly.
I'm pretty sure those dudes were staring because you are pretty AND because you are nothing but belly. Which is very cute. In my humble opinion.
"nothing but belly" meaning, your pregnancy is all in your belly---not as in, you are nothing else, just one big belly.
uh, anyone seen my foot!? Oh wait, here it is, hanging out of my mouth...
A little birdie told me you're holding your baby girl right now. I can't wait to see pictures and hear how it all went. Congratulations from Mexico!!!
Oh my gosh!! After people would ask how far along I was with Wyatt, when I was only 6 or 7 months along, I would always get the "ARE YOU HAVING TWINS?" I've come to believe some people just don't have filters! They just say whatever comes to mind!~! I'm sure you're beautiful Keara!!!
I have so much love for pregnant women. I myself had some interesting comments while being pregnant. I am sorry for what was said. I hope I have never been so insensitive. I can't wait for pictures of your little one!
Post a Comment