Monday, June 20, 2011

Squirrel Tacos

After F.H.E. lesson about "soft response" from June issue of The Friend, we decided to go out back and play some Lawn Darts or Jarts for our family activity. The second we got outside Nixon ran after a squirrel, which is usual, what was unusual was Calvin's response.

D: Nixon ran after a squirrel, he almost got him too.
C: Nixon's going to catch us a squirrel so we can eat it.
M: You want to eat a squirrel?
C: No no, we'll cut all his fur off and put him in the oven and bake him, then eat him.
M: You want to eat a squirrel????

He is definitely a man, hunter gatherer. Lets hope this is as far as it goes.
We are working with Ellie and her "soft response" skills. She is quite the screamer and scratcher and yeller and pretty much anything that will give her instant gratification when she is angry. We cut her fingernails SUPER short and took her pretty pink nail polish off as a consequence to scratching Caleb and Calvy on their faces, enough to draw blood and leave nasty scab. We also took her binky privileges away for the night for yelling at Mommy and saying/screaming, "I don't like you anymore!" After crying in bed for a few minutes I went in and scooped her up and took her to the big blue chair in my room, and we cuddled. This poor girl, I know she is crying out for something, but we are having a hard time figuring it out. I want to be a good Mommy, today I could have been better. What do I do with my high spirited child?
Ellie got eaten up by misquotes the other night. This is after they have healed a bit, they were HUGE!
Daddy playing toss on the dining room floor. They are SO glad when Daddy comes home.
Alan had Cub Scout Day Camp all day today, I had a pre-operation appointment, blood work down at the hospital at 8 AM, YES 8! My wonderful friend took my kids and fed them an changed their diapers so that I could go. I am having a minor surgery on my big toe on my left foot, to remove a cyst that has been annoying me and oozing and hurting my for almost a year now. I am nervous, to say the least, Alan made me feel much better when he explained to me that being under anesthetic is being very close to death, let alone the fact that I have to be on crutches for a week post surgery. Bleh. Oh well, I am going to get some super sweet rags to put under my armpits, like everyone else in grade school would do when they were lucky enough to break their leg and be on crutches, maybe I'll even decoupage my crutches and be super cool limpy gimpy.

-Keara



No comments: