Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"There's a storm in my closet"

Singing on the coffee table, because there is no other proper place.

Ellie was getting in trouble a lot again this morning so I thought she might need a time out with Mommy, just to talk. She came over to the couch where I was laying, rubbing the tears out of her eyes, and I pulled her up onto myself and let her lay with me. I asked her why she bit Calvy and we talked about why that's not ok and that if she is upset about something she needs to come talk to me instead. She was pouty and I realized the time. I told her it might be time to take a nap, and she responded by saying "no!" and tried to scramble off my lap. I held her a little tighter as to not let her get down and told her that I loved her and Daddy loved her and we weren't mad at her.
M: "I think a binkie and a blankie sound good. Don't you think a pinkie and blankie sound good, and you can lay in your bed and take a little nap?"
E: "But there's a storm in my closet."
M: "A storm?"
E: "Ya, there's a storm in my closet. and it scares me"
M: Why do you think there is a storm in your closet?"
E: "It's noisy and loud, and it scares me."
M: "Oh, no baby, that is just our neighbors upstairs. They are moving chairs and playing"
E: "It's just ____ and her mommy and daddy?"
M: "Yah, there's no storm."
E: "Storms live outside. The storm scared Calvy and ripped his shirt."
M: "He ripped his shirt?"
E: "No, the storm is not a boy."
M: "Oh, the storm ripped his shirt. Is the storm a girl?"
E: "No. It's just a storm. Storms are not boys or girls or babies."

This little girls vocabulary keeps growing. She is so smart as so sweet, we are learning so much being her parents. She went with her Daddy, and even Calvy offered to help, to look for a storm in her closet before she took a nap.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh E! We missed you while we were gone!